If you haven’t tried Steel Cut Oats before then now is your time! They take longer than usual rolled oats to cook which makes them perfect for meal prep.
Steel cut oats are quite different to rolled oats... They have a little chewy-ness to them and a nutty-ish flavour.
Steel cut oats are a less processed form of the oat grain. They’re simply cut with steel blades (hence the name!) rather than heated and rolled like rolled oats.
- 1 cup steel cup oats
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 stick of cinnamon (or 1 tsp)
- Place all ingredients in a pot on the stove & bring to a simmer
- Continue simmering whilst stirring occasionally for around 30 minutes
- Add a little more water if it dries out too much
- The oats will still be a little chewy once they're cooked and also very creamy as the starch from the oats will release as they cook
- Remove the cinnamon stick and serve. Top with yoghurt, peanut butter, honey and/or fruit.