Protein can sometimes be difficult to get into our kids.. Do you find that too? I often see lunch boxes which are high in carbs but low in protein and good fats. Lunches such as these won't keep kids full for very long and can also contribute to bad moods! Not good for them, not good for their teachers and not good for us who just want them to be happy and healthy!
These are a great way to get those picky-eating kids to eat their protein! They do contain dates which are high in sugar but the protein and fats in these little yummy bliss balls help to regulate blood sugar levels which minimises an insulin spike which can also help to regulate mood. AND...these are a great source of omega 3 fatty acids which are excellent for brain health to support their learning.
Obviously this can also be reflected in adults too... If you need an afternoon pick-me-up...give these a go!
- 1 1/2 cups hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup cacao
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pitted dates (squishy ones...if they're a little dry then soak them in hot water for 5-10 minutes first & drain them well)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup peanut butter/almond cutter/tahini or more coconut oil
Optional: Desiccated coconut for coating them in
- Add the dry ingredients to a food processor and blitz until a fine crumb forms
- Add in the wet ingredients and blitz again until it all comes together. If it's too wet, add a little more flax meal. If it's too dry, add a little more peanut butter.
- Line a plate with the desiccated coconut
- Roll the chocolate mixture into small sized balls - around the size of a 50cent piece - then roll into the coconut
- Place on another plate and place in the fridge to set. The fats from the hemp seeds, flax meal and coconut oil will set the balls
- Keep in a glass jar in the fridge