So so soooooo easy! So easy you could almost make this with your eyes closed. And all you need are 2 ingredients!
Yoghurt is a fermented food which means it contains bacteria. The fermentation process happens when the bacteria eat the sugars in the coconut and turns them into an acid which creates the sour flavour of natural yoghurts. As the bacteria multiply the yoghurt becomes thicker. As well as the nutritional benefits of the good fats found in coconut, the bacteria are excellent for gut health.
When choosing a probiotic to use in this recipe, look for one with a variety of bacteria strains which include Lactobacillus acidophilus as this will help to set the yoghurt.
The bacteria in the probiotics like certain temperatures to get going so the length of time your yoghurt takes to ferment will depend on the temperature of your house and where you leave it. It may take 1-2 days before your yoghurt is ready to go. It will also depend on your taste. The longer you leave it the more sour it will get. I like to move mine around depending on what I'm doing. I'll often put it on the coffee machine while it's warm or near the oven when it's on to get a little bit of extra warmth. Another way to get your bacteria moving is to place your jar in a bowl of warm (not hot) water. Do this when starting your yoghurt then leave in a spot in your kitchen
- 2x 400 ml cans of coconut milk
- 3x probiotic capsules (read above for more details on which probiotics are best!)
- Pour your 2 cans of coconut milk into a bowl and stir to combine the fats with the liquid (you can whisk it if you prefer)
- Break open your probiotic capsules by gently twisting each side apart & add to the coconut milk
- Mix to combine
- Pour into a large jar or 2 small jars
- Place a piece of muslin cloth over the top and secure with an elastic band
- Leave the jar in a warm place in your kitchen out of the sun. Taste it after 1 day and leave for another day or so if it needs longer
- When you're happy with the flavour, put the lid on the jar & keep in the fridge for up to 5-7 days
- When using your coconut yogurt you can also add honey and vanilla to sweeten it.