I'd forgotten how good bircher muesli is! It's so refreshing and comforting. It's especially perfect for porridge lovers like me when the weather is too warm for hot porridge. This is a great one for your gut health too. Oats are an excellent source of fibre and when soaked overnight it helps to break down the oats so that it's easier for your body to digest. I also add in yoghurt and leave it on the bench overnight to allow the cultures within the yoghurt to multiply and provide even more beneficial probiotics to the gut.
I made these muesli blends for my girls a couple of months ago and they were (were!) loving them but have grown a bit tired of them now. That meant I had some leftover muesli to use up so I created this cultured bircher muesli. Now I've had to make more muesli so that I can keep on making this bircher!
Back before we had probiotic capsules we had cultured food. Including cultured foods into your daily diet is an excellent way to keep your gut health tip top!
Bacteria is a living organism that needs to be fed... What the good bacteria like to eat best is fibre so keep your fibre intake up to ensure those bacteria stick around. This breakfast is a win/win with good bacteria PLUS fibre to feed it. Give it a go and let me know what you think!
- 1/2 cup muesli here are a couple of recipes. Use raw not toasted muesli
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- 1/4 cup natural yoghurt
- 1 peach or 1 apple (I alternate between the 2 but use whatever fruit you like best)
- Optional: add a little sweetener like honey if you prefer. I used Poppy's muesli blend which includes dried mulberries & after soaking them overnight their sweetness mixes through the muesli.
Ps- Double or triple or even quadruple this recipe if you feel like being organised for a few days worth of breakfasts!
- Mix the muesli, milk & yoghurt and leave to soak overnight on your bench. I put it in a bowl and place a plate on top as a lid.
- The next morning, chop up your peach or apple (& sweetener if using), mix it though your muesli & add a little more yoghurt too if you like.