I made this for my husband's birthday a couple of weeks back and it was so delish! He loves Maltesers so we topped ours with a chocolate ganache (which I made with melted chocolate and coconut oil) and a whole lot of Maltesers!
Ok, now, so... This ended up being quite a large cake and I used my biggest cake tin but you could split this and use 2 smaller tins to create a layer cake. I think I'll do that next time and add in crunchy Maltesers in the middle too...YUM!
Obviously this is a celebration cake so it contains sugar and fat! But we need to live and enjoy ourselves so I absolutely do not believe that we can't eat delicious cake! Moderation is they key to enjoying all the things you love! Also, this cake is made of whole and real ingredients...no numbers, flavours, preservatives or vegetable oils in this amazing cake!
Also, If you're after a gluten free recipe then you're in luck as I've used buckwheat flour. You could absolutely use regular flour if you prefer.
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
...I haven't added the ganache recipe here as I made it up as I went and didn't measure so if you're after a recipe just Google it and you'll find loads.
- Preheat your oven to 175° C
- Line and grease your cake tin (mine is a 25cm spring form tin)
- In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl lightly whisk the wet ingredients
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined
- Pour into your cake tin and spread out evenly
- If you're using a large cake tin or 2 small cake tins it should only take around 25-35 minutes as the cake will be thinner. The time will really depend on the size of your cake tins. Check at 25 mins and go from there.