This Chocolate Cake is so easy to make! It's my go-to when baking chocolate birthday cakes as it's allergy friendly...it's gluten free, dairy free and nut free! But it's not egg free or vegan so it doesn't suit everyone.
This one it topped with a chocolate ganache (google a recipe - it's basically chocolate and butter or coconut oil melted together then cooled) and Maltesers for my husband's birthday one year... He's a big fan of Maltesers so this was a winner!
I used the whole mix in one large tin for this cake but you can also split the batter into 2 cake tins to make a double layered cake.
Ivy requested a chocolate and strawberry cake with chocolate on strawberries. I'm pretty sure I nailed the brief! I made a frosting with dark chocolate, butter, icing sugar and a little oat milk. I didn't measure anything so you'll need to google a recipe...or wing it like I did!
Obviously this is a celebration cake so it contains sugar and fat! But we need to live life and enjoy ourselves so I absolutely do not believe that we can't eat delicious cake! Moderation is they key to enjoying all the things you love! Also, this cake is made of whole and real ingredients...no numbers, flavours, preservatives or inflammatory vegetable oils here!
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon - optional
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk of choice - maybe a little more depending on the size of your eggs
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 175° C
- Line and grease your cake tin (mine is a 25cm spring form tin)
- In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl lightly whisk the wet ingredients
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add a splash more of milk if your mix is a little dry
- Pour into your cake tin and spread out evenly
- If you're using a large cake tin or 2 small cake tins it should only take around 20-25 minutes as the cake isn't thick. The time will really depend on the size of your cake tins though so check at 15 mins and go from there.
- Ice with your fave icing, ganache, frosting!