This is the perfect cold morning breakfast! It's comforting in more ways that one... Porridge is like a warm hug in a bowl and carrot cake is the ultimate comfort food cake! This is also so nourishing and warming for the body with oats having a calming effect on the body plus added cinnamon and ginger which gently stimulate circulation to get your blood moving to warm your body even more.
In case you need further reasons to enjoy Carrot Cake Oats, carrots are an excellent source of betacarotene (giving carrots their orange colour) which is excellent for skin health as well as our mucous membranes - the lining of our respiratory and digestive systems - which means it's also important for supporting immune health. Another great reason to eat Carrot Cake Oats during cold & flu season!
PLUS! Another major benefit of this breakfast is that you're getting one of your daily serves of vegetables ticked off you list!
To save time in the morning, you could absolutely make this in larger batches to make 3-4 serves & reheat them when you're ready to eat. Just add the topping before eating. Easy peasy!
- 1/3 cup oats
- 2/3 cup water or milk or 1/3 water + 1/3 milk - you choose!
- 1 small or 1/2 large grated carrot (load up with carrot!)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 tsp ground ginger (depends on how spicy you like it!)
- Raw honey to sweeten
- Options: greek yoghurt, a small handful of sultanas, raisins or dried mulberries, nuts, seeds or collagen powder
- Add the oats, liquid, carrot & spices to a pot on the stove and cook over a low heat
- Stirring the oats helps to release the starch from within them which thickens the porridge & also gently lines & soothes your digestive tract
- It will take around 5-10 minutes to cook through
- Mix through the honey & collagen powder if using. Collagen will add protein to the meal whilst also supporting your gut, skin and immune health
- Serve and top with yoghurt, nuts, seeds & dried fruit if using