So many cereals are loaded with rubbish and yet, there is still an entire aisle at the supermarket dedicated to breakfast cereal! This goes to show that cereal is still obviously the most popular type of breakfast. But I get it… Mornings are busy & pouring a bowl of cereal is an easy and quick way of getting breakfast done.
Instead of buying cereal, try making your own! This recipe makes quite a big batch too which means you don’t need to be making it all the time!
This cereal uses real, whole ingredients that are actually good for your body!
This is really yummy with strawberries but my favourite is banana with this cereal. Give it a try! Chocolate cereal + banana = AMAZING!
- 4 cups of puffed brown rice
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey or rice malt syrup
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 150° C
- In a large mixing bowl add the rice, oats and seeds
- In a small pot on the stove melt the coconut oil then take off the heat and mix through the honey, cacao powder and cinnamon
- Pour into the dry ingredients and mix well
- Transfer to your biggest baking trays which have been lined with baking paper. Spread out as thinly as possible. My baking trays aren't very big so they mix doesn't spread out very thin... This means that it takes longer for it to toast. My recommendation is to take the mix out of the oven every 5 minutes and give it a mix so that it toasts evenly. Taste it each time to see how crunchy it is. Once it's most of it has become crunchy it's done. I had to do this for 20 minutes but if your trays are bigger then it may only take 10 or 15 minutes
- Leave to cool on the trays and it will crunch up even more
- Keep in an airtight container.