The best part of a meal is always the toppings right? They add extra pops of flavor & texture to make any boring food exciting!
These pickled onions will take you 2 minutes to make but add so much yum to your meals for a week!
Pickling the onion brings out the sweetness on the onion & gets rid of the spicy overpowering flavour that onion can have.
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cup vinegar (I use white but you could use apple cider vinegar)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp sugar (I use coconut because that’s all I have)
- 1 tsp salt
- a few whole peppercorns if you have them
- Pour the boiling water into a jar
- Add in the sugar & salt & stir until dissolved
- Pour in the vinegar
- Slice the onion thinly with a mandolin or as fine as you can then add to the jar with the peppercorns
- Push the onion down so that they’re covered
- Leave on your bench for 30-60 minutes & they should be ready.
- Keep in the fridge.