This is a really easy to make sauce which is also dairy free and vegan! I love regular cheese sauce but it’s not the healthiest thing to be putting all over your food all the time. This version caters for food intolerances/preferences and just so good for you!
The uses for this are endless! Here I added it to a really simple dinner of roasted potatoes with baked beans and broccoli. You could also add this to roast veggies or nachos or eat plain as a dip with corn chips. Yum!
- 1 red onion - finely diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves - finely diced
- 2 carrots - chopped small
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2-3 cups veggie stock
- 1 tin of white beans such as cannellini or butter beans
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, cashews & veggie stock to a pot. Bring to a mild boil then simmer until the carrots are soft
- Transfer to a high speed blender with the beans, nutritional yeast, garlic powder & paprika then blitz until smooth.
- Use the sauce as needed. It will thicken when it cools. Add more stock if you want a thinner sauce. Keep in a jar in the fridge.