'Tis the season so they say. Everything at the moment has a little Christmas touch to it. If these muffins were baked in July they'd still be yummy but at this time of year and with an extra dusting of icing sugar they're extra yummy!
Even though we're in summer here in Australia, today is a cold and rainy day in Melbourne so these warming muffins are perfect for right now!
I used buckwheat flour for these but you could use any plain wholegrain flour too. I also used a mini muffin tin as we had them for breakfast and dipped them into yoghurt but use whatever muffin tin (or donut tin!) you have.
- 1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3-4 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Optional: 1/2 tsp icing sugar to dust them with afterwards
- Preheat your oven to 175° C
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Combine the wet ingredients in another smaller bowl
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients & mix together until just combined
- Spoon into a muffin tray
- If using a mini muffin tin they'll only take around 8-12 minutes. If using a larger sized muffin tin they'll probably take around 18-25 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack, allow to cool slightly then dust with icing sugar using a small sieve. If taking these to someone's house, dust with icing sugar before serving as the icing sugar will melt into the muffins after some time.