I usually make a veggie bolognese with red lentils but this time I use shredded tofu for something different. It turned out really yummy. I've seen Sarah Brown making shredded tofu on her Instagram page and wanted to give it a try.
My girls loved it. I asked them “How do you like the tofu bolognese?” And they were like “Oh…it’s tofu??” Ha! They usually like tofu anyway but they’d never had it like this before!
This is a really easy bolognese recipe that takes no time to make! Pairing this with a legume pasta such as red lentil or chickpea also increases the total protein of the meal plus adds fibre and a serve of veg (because legumes are considered a serve of veg!)
Also...here's a little tip for those who are vegan, vegetarian or have a history of low iron levels... There is evidence to show that a small amount of iron transferred into food when cooking in a cast iron pan which helps to support healthy iron levels so cook in cast iron as often as you can.
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 red onion
- 1 carrot
- 300g firm tofu
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs (Italian mix)
- 400g tomato passata (Mutti is the best!)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- around 1/2 cup veggie stock
- salt & pepper
- 250g pasta of choice (legume pasta recommended - I used this one)
- Finely chop your garlic & onion then sauté lightly in your pan with extra virgin olive oil
- Grate your carrot and add it in
- Grate your tofu and add it in
- Continue to sauté until the carrot has softened
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix well
- Simmer while you cook your pasta
- Drain your pasta and pour into your bolognese
- Stir to combine and serve.