Aka pasta and beans!
This is definitely my favourite pasta dish! It’s perfect for cold winter nights as it’s warming, comforting, nourishing, simple & so delicious!!
Traditionally pasta e fagioli is much soupier but I like it thicker. Also…the pasta e Fagioli below was made the night before and reheated which means it's even less soupy… (It’s actually not soupy at all!) If you prefer it more like a soup you will just need to use more stock when cooking it. Easy!
- 1 red onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 large carrot
- 1 red capsicum
- 2 bay leaves
- 400g jar passata or 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1-1 1/2 litres of veggie stock (4-6 cups)
- 250g pasta
- 2 tins borlotti beans
Optional: 1 bunch of broccolini or a head or broccoli for an extra serve of veggies
- Finely chop the onion and garlic then sauté until translucent in a large pot on medium heat
- Cube the carrot and capsicum (and broccolini/broccoli if using) and add to the pot to lightly sauté also
- Add in the bay leaves and pour in the passata and stock, turn up the heat and bring to a boil
- Once boiling, add in the pasta and stir well
- Drain and rinse the beans
- When the pasta is almost done, mix in the beans
- Remove the bay leaves
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese, finely chopped parsley and chilli flakes