I had an eggplant that I needed to use up and came up with this delicious creation. This dish is entirely for me because the rest of my fam will not eat eggplant. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Especially with a spoonful of yoghurt on top...YUM! I had it for lunch today and it will also be lunch for the next few days.
This is so simple to make. All you need is a large pot, a handful of ingredients and around 30 minutes.
- 1 large eggplant (aubergine)
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 red capsicum (pepper)
- 2 tomatoes
- A handful of olives (I used black Ligurian)
- A small bunch of parsley
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 cup veggie stock or water
- Salt & pepper
- Chop the eggplant, onion, capsicum and tomato into largish chunks. Finely dice the garlic. Separate the stalks and leaves from the parsley, chop the stalks up finely.
- Lightly brown the eggplant in some olive oil in a large pot then transfer to a plate or bowl.
- Add a little more olive oil if needed and lightly sauté the garlic, onion and parsley stalks.
- Add in the spices and cook for a further minute or so until the spices become fragrant.
- Add the capsicum, tomato and olives.
- Pour in the stock and season with salt & pepper.
- Simmer on low for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with a spoonful of Greek or natural yoghurt & parsley leaves.