So soothing & nourishing for our bodies. It’s like a big warm hug for your body & soul!
Congee is slowed cooked rice, cooked until it’s almost falling apart. The starch from the rice becomes thick which nourishes the lining of our digestive tract & can help it to heal in certain digestive conditions. I like to flavour it up with herbs & spices to make it even more nutrient packed.
- 6 garlic cloves
- a piece of ginger the size of 2 thumbs
- a small bunch of coriander
- 1 cup of brown basmati rice
- 6 cups of veggie stock
- a couple of handfuls of baby spinach
- The toppings I used here are roast sweet potato, pan fried asparagus, fresh spring onion & chili flakes
- Finely chop the garlic, ginger & coriander stalks
- Sauté in a large pot with a good glug of olive oil until fragrant
- Stir in the rice & stock & bring it to a mild boil
- Simmer on a really, really low heat, as low as your stove will go with the lid on for an hour or so until it becomes a porridgey consistency
- Once it’s done, stir through the spinach & leave it few a couple of minutes to wilt
- Serve with whatever you toppings you feel like. Spring onion & sesame seeds are also great with this.