This is one of my go-to recipes. My kids don’t loooove it but they like it at least & they eat it so that’ll do! Trust me…it took quite a while & quite a few times to get them to eat this! They‘ve been eating it for years now thankfully!
As well as with brown basmati rice, I often also serve it like this with side salads or chopped cucumber, grated carrot or avocado.
As my kids also eat this my recipe doesn’t include chili so I always top it with chili flakes. I also love adding a spoonful of hummus & this time I also added pickled onions which basically go with everything! As does hummus!
- 1 red onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- A thumb sized piece of ginger
- a small bunch of coriander
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1tsp garam masala
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups veggie stock
- a big handful of spinach
- Finely dice the onion and garlic & add to a large pot to sauté in water or a little extra virgin olive oil
- Separate the coriander leaves & stalks, finely chop the stalks & add to the onion & garlic
- Peel the ginger by scraping the sharp end of a knife against the skin. It comes off really easily this way. With a fine plane grater, grate the ginger into to the pot too
- Once the onion and garlic are translucent add in the spices to cook for another minute or 2
- Add in the lentils, tomatoes, coconut milk & stock, mix well then gently simmer with a lid ajar. Stir occasionally, until cooked. It will take around 25-30 minutes
- Serve & enjoy!