I was originally calling this a soup but it's much more stewy than soupy. That's how I like it! Thick soup that you actually need to chew.
Although it's the middle of summer my body was craving this yesterday... The last week has been quite hot but yesterday it was overcast, rainy and cool. I have been eating a lot of raw foods with smoothies and salads so this was a great opportunity to support my digestive system with this slow cooked meal. Raw foods take a lot more effort to digest and slow cooked foods are already partially digested so they're very easy on the digestive system.
Ivy told me this 'soup' was from her dreams! Poppy picked out the potatoes & carrots and left the rest. They both had a piece of toast with theirs too. Hubby added a sliced veggie sausage to his to up the protein even more and this bowl was mine with avocado and chilli flakes. Yum!
- 1 red onion
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- 1 small bunch of thyme
- 2-3 potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 1 bunch of Chinese broccoli (or Tuscan kale)
- 1 cup red lentils (these are really quick to cook & don't require presoaking!)
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 cups (1.5 litres) veggie stock
- Optional - a handful of cherry tomatoes
- Finely dice the onion & garlic and sauté in olive oil in a large pot on the stove over medium heat. Too hot and they'll burn!
- Meanwhile separate the thyme from the stalks, chop the potatoes & carrots into medium sized chunks, separate the leaves & stalks from the Chinese broccoli (I love this veggie!! I sauté it and eat it with scrambled eggs with sriracha all the time!)
- Once the onion & garlic are translucent add in the potatoes, carrots, Chinese broccoli stalks, lentils, tomatoes, tomato paste, veggie stock & cherry tomatoes if using
- Simmer for around 20 minutes then add in the Chinese broccoli leaves & continue to simmer until the lentils& veggies are done. It should take 30-40 minutes in total.