Look no further...this is what you need if you can feel a cold coming on or if you're already experiencing the symptoms of a cold. This delicious 'magic' honey has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, soothing and healing properties that will get you feeling better in no time.
The ingredients you need to make this can vary depending on what you have at the time. I don't want you to have to go down to the shop to pick up some extra ginger or turmeric but what you do need to have on hand is raw honey. A lot of the honey at the supermarket has been heat treated which means the medicinal properties of the honey have been killed off in the heat so always make sure you buy raw honey!
I've been making this & sharing it on my instagram page for years (#wnhmagichoney) & so many people have told me they love it! Kids love it too because although it contains strong tasting ingredients it's still runny, sticky & sweet honey!
- 1/2 - 1 red onion (the red colour means it has more antioxidants in it than white or brown onion)
- 3-6 garlic cloves (depending on how many you can handle! Use less if it's for kids but the more the better!)
- a little finger sized piece of fresh ginger (optional but it makes it taste so good!)
- a little finger sized piece of fresh turmeric (optional - you can often find it at good fruit & veg shops)
- a handful of fresh thyme (leave the leaves on the stalks)
- the rind of 1 lemon (gently peel with a potato peeler so that it's in larger pieces)
- 1/2-1 cup of raw honey (enough to cover everything)
...If you only have a few of these ingredients then that is fine. Garlic and/or onion is important but if you don't have the ginger, turmeric, thyme or lemon then leave them out.
- Roughly chop the onion, garlic, ginger & turmeric. Place them in a glass jar with the thyme & lemon rind
- Pour over the honey & stir to combine
- Leave on your bench top for at least 30 minutes with the lid on. In this time the honey will draw out all of the medicinal properties from the other ingredients & you will notice that the honey thins out to a syrup consistency. The longer you leave it the better it will be. I don't actually strain mine. I use the side of a teaspoon to collect out the syrup but if you prefer, after 1-2 hours strain out the ingredients to leave just the syrup.
- I recommend a dose of 1 tsp of magic honey every hour.
This syrup will last quite a while as honey never goes off (fun fact!). I often leave the syrup on my bench with all of the ingredients for the few days that I use it then put it in the fridge. I don't know for sure how long it will keep but I would expect it would last for a few months & maybe even 6 or more! Just make sure you use a clean teaspoon each time...no double dipping!