Spinach and any kind of cheese are best friends! It's a flavour go-to for me. Gozleme, borek, spanakopita... They're all so yummy!
This pie is simple to make but tastes amazing! It's perfect for a warm Spring day served with a simple side salad. This makes quite a large pie so it's a great one to make for family & friends.
- 1 large leek
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- around 300 g spinach
- 500 g ricotta (full fat)
- 100 g feta cheese
- 3 eggs
- a good handful of parsley
- salt & pepper
- 6-8 sheets of filo pastry
- olive oil spray (or olive oil & a pastry brush)
- around 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat your oven to 200° C
- Chop up the leek & garlic then sauté in a little olive oil in a pan until translucent. Transfer to a small bowl and leave to cool
- Add the spinach to the same pan and sauté until it's all completely wilted then transfer to tea towel and leave to cool. When cool, wrap the tea towel around the spinach & squeeze out the excess liquid over your sink. Chop the spinach roughly then add to the bowl with the onion & garlic
- In a large bowl add the ricotta, crumble in the feta, crack in the eggs & mix well
- Roughly chop the parsley & add to the ricotta mix with the onion, garlic and spinach. Mix well
- Now, for the pastry. I use an olive oil spray here because I find it a lot easier. Spray your oven dish really well then place your first piece of pastry into the dish draping it over the edge. Spray that piece of pastry lightly then add the next piece of pastry. Repeat until all pastry sheets have been added, sprayed lightly & so that all pieces are draping over the edge so that you can fold it back over the top once the ricotta filling has been added.
- Once the dish is lined with pastry pour the ricotta filling in. Spread out evenly. Fold over the excess pastry over the top one sheet at a time. Spray the top of the pastry then sprinkle over the sesame seeds
- Bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown
- Gently take out of the oven dish & leave to cool slightly on a cooling wire. It's best eaten warm. Transfer to a place, slice, eat & enjoy!