This is a really yummy & simple fish dish that is also gluten free! I don’t know if the way I make this is a proper cooking technique (probably not!) but it works, it’s easy and it’s delicious!
I mean…look at that crust!
- 6 pieces of flathead fillets
- the juice of 1/2 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- a small handful of parsley
- 2 tbsp buckwheat flour (or other plain flour)
- Flathead fillets come in a V type shape but I pull them apart so that I only have strips. I find it’s easier to cook them this way
- Add the flathead fillets to a medium mixing bowl
- Squeeze over the lemon juice & generously drizzle with olive oil
- With a fine grater (microplane) grate in the garlic
- Finely chop the parsley then add to the bowl
- Mix until it’s all well combined then leave in the fridge for around an hour to marinate
- The fish may change slightly as the acidity of the lemon juice may begin to cook it
- Just before cooking, sprinkle over the buckwheat flour, 1 tbsp at a time & mix well to create a kind of batter
- Lightly cover the bottom of a frying pan with olive oil, heat then cook the fish until golden on one side & turn to cook the other side. be gentle as the fish may break
I served ours with…
- Potatoes which I boiled, drained then added olive oil, lemon juice & salt to. These were so good!
- A simple French grated carrot salad which is just grated carrot & my go-to dressing which is 3 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, salt & pepper. Keep leftover dressing in a jar in the fridge
- Stramed broccolini